This section explains which sales consultant is entitled to commissions from a property sale and a property purchase. This procedure applies to all sales staff and all property sales.
The sales team member who finds a lead, lists a property, manages the sales file ongoing and sells property is entitled to a commission for each of these activities. See “Office commissions and the basis of calculations” for further information. Since the sales team works together and helps each other, it is important to have clear rules about who receives commission.
Geographical prospecting territory
There is a geographical prospecting territory known as a Business Development Area. Any sales team member can sign up a client from anywhere however may not prospect in any area. See Business Development Area Rules)
Property sales commission
The sales consultant who finds the lead is entitled to a commission for this. The sales person who appraises the property and signs up the Seller for the sales listing (the Listing Agent) receives the sales commission for that activity. The salesperson who manages the file including all the vendor contact and the management of the marketing for the property is entitled to a commission for this.
The Sales Manager can reassign a sales listing to another sales consultant. In this case the original Listing Agent receives the Listing commission and the second agent the Managing commission.
Property purchase commission
The Sales Consultant who first takes the Buyer through the door of the property (or within the border of the property if there are no buildings) receives the buyer commission.
The Listing Agent normally receives the buyer commission for buyers who are on their first visit during an open for inspection.
Another Sales Consultant can receive the buyer commission from an ‘open for inspection’ first visit if:
- On arrival, the Buyer states to the Listing Sales Consultant that they are clients of the other Sales Consultant OR
- It is most convenient for the Buyer to attend the open for inspection AND, before the open for inspection, the other Sales Consultant:
- Has spent time discussing the Buyer’s needs AND
- Recommends property inspection to the Buyer AND
- Notifies the Listing Agent (See the Buyer Referal policy)
- Buyer Communication
- Buyer Inquiry Source Recording
- Commission Information
- Conducting Sales Meetings
- How to use bottlenecks in your business to help you write effective standard operating procedures (SOP)
- SOP Software to help you manage your standard operating procedures (SOP)
* Please read our disclaimer before downloading any of our documents