Managing Petty Cash
To ensure that petty cash is monitored regularly and not abused
The use of petty cash is restricted to purchase of items required at short notice that cannot be acquired either through the normal ordering system within the required time.
Payments of a payroll nature (salary, allowances, leave, etc.) must be made only through the payroll system.
Detail your petty cash procedures ensuring that:
- Petty cash is kept in a safe place away from casual access
- funds are adequate for Petty Cash purposes but not excessive
- Petty cash is controlled by one individual (with enough seniority and experience in the company to adequately control the petty cash process)
- Petty cash is reconciled periodically (usually monthly) by someone other than the custodian.
- Attach the receipt to the Petty Cash Voucher and store all the vouchers locked away with the petty cash.
- Cash a cheque to reimburse the petty cash when the money is low.
- Cheque Signing and Authority
- Payment Approval (paying For What We Get)
- Purchase Orders (ensuring A Paper Trail Exists)
- Receipt Of Goods and Conformity Of Supply
- How to use bottlenecks in your business to help you write effective standard operating procedures (SOP)
- SOP Software to help you manage your standard operating procedures (SOP)
* Please read our disclaimer before downloading any of our documents