Explosive Power Tools and Other Plant
Explosive Power Tools
Operational hazards of explosive powered tools include injury to the operator, their assistant, or other persons in an area which can extend up to 100 metres in radius with certain tools caused by:
- The possible free flight of the fastener, either by over-penetration and escape or by ricochet, and from shattered target fragments;
- Permanent hearing loss caused by impact noise.
Limiting the Hazard
The quality of component materials of tool, charge and fastener, and the design factors incorporating safety, are matters under development and surveillance, but outside the control of the operator. However, personal factors are controllable, and the area where accidents can best be prevented.
Preventative measures include:
- Limiting the use of these tools to responsible and adequately trained person;
- Working in a climate which promotes the safe use of tools; and
- Working under a system of formal supervision.
Plant, Tools And Machinery
The tools and equipment you use must be kept in safe working order.
Make sure you choose the right tool or piece of equipment for the job and check it thoroughly before use.
With machinery it is a good idea to have a written pre-operation check list which you should go through before commencing work.
If any faults or problems are identified then immediately get these attended to. Don’t attempt to operate faulty equipment.
Special care must be taken when working with or near hoists, tower cranes, mobile cranes and concrete pumps.
Complacency concerning their safe use will often end in disaster.
Also stay alert to the movement of site vehicles. Wear high visibility clothing when working with mobile plant or if you are near roadways.
Always travel at a safe speed.
- Assuring Workplace Safety
- Employee Safety Manual – Table Of Contents
- Hazards and Hazardous Environments
- Manual Handling
- Other Workplace Hazards
- How to use bottlenecks in your business to help you write effective standard operating procedures (SOP)
- SOP Software to help you manage your standard operating procedures (SOP)
* Please read our disclaimer before downloading any of our documents